After the success of the first national meeting on access to books and reading organised the 7th December 2017, BrailleNet, the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Centre for Books and Reading and the French national library and information science school (Enssib) are joining forces again to organise the first edition of the Rencontres nationales du livre numérique accessible (National meeting on accessible digital books) which will take place on Thursday 17 January 2019 at Enssib in Villeurbanne.
Through a selection of conference papers and practical workshops, the day is designed to give professionals an opportunity to:
- Keep up to date on the latest political and industrial developments in favour of accessibility to digital books and reading
- Increase understanding and/or skills in digital accessiblity
- Share experiences and needs with regards to support in the workplace (training, accessible solutions, etc.)
- Network with colleagues and professionals from the wider community
The event is geared towards all professionals working with and around books and reading: publishers, librarians, transcriptors, distributors, book sellers, software engineers, teachers and students.
All presentations will be in French.
09:30 | Registration
10:00 | Welcome address
10:20 | Interministerial strategy for the development of born-accessible books, Claire Leymonerie (Ministère de la Culture)
10:40 | What’s new in 2018 ? Updates from Luc Audrain (Hachette Livre/Standards group of the French publishers association SNE), Françoise Fontaine-Martinelli (Bibliothèque Universitaire Lyon 1), Nicolas Eglin (Centre Technique Régional pour la Déficience Visuelle) and Alex Bernier (BrailleNet)
11:00 | The OPALINe Project (Outils Pour l’Accessibilité des LIvres Numériques), Alex Bernier (BrailleNet)
11:20 | Working towards accessible books and reading: Professionals talk about accessibility in their work
12:00 | Selection of projects and initiatives supporting accessibilty
12:30 | Lunch break
14:00 | Workshops, Session 1 :
- What accessibility metadata do adaptation professionals need? Nicolas Eglin (Centre Technique Régional pour la Déficience Visuelle)
- Export an accessible EPUB from InDesign. Louis Marle (Albin Michel/Groupe Normes&Standards du SNE)
- How to go about making a library portal accessible? Alex Bernier (BrailleNet)
15h15 | Workshops, Session 2 :
- Moving towards born-accessible publications: what are the repurcussions for the adaptation sector (training, tools, added value, etc.) ? Gautier Chomel, EDITADAPT
- Learning about the Ace tool: what can it do and how do Ace failures impact the user? Luc Audrain (Hachette Livre/Groupe Normes&Standards du SNE), Fernando Pinto (BrailleNet)
- What can be done to improve the accessibility of digital resources in libraries? (speaker tbc)
16h15 | Conclusions
Programme developed with the help of:
- Luc Audrain, Hachette Livre
- Nicolas Eglin, Centre Technique Régional pour la Déficience Visuelle
- Françoise Fontaine-Martinelli, Bibliothèque Universitaire Lyon 1
The event is free but participants must register via the online registration form.